I hadn't planned on doing an National Infertility Awareness Week (NIAW) post because I've read so many good ones and really couldn't think of anything to add, until this exact moment when it hit me what I wouldn't ignore.
Important note: I said this before I got my happy ending, so it's not that that makes it easy for me to write this. It's the regret, the carnage that multiple treatments left behind when we wish we had said no so much sooner than we finally did.
Don't ignore the ability to say "no." No to further treatments. Not so much to ones that you are morally opposed to, if you have some, though that's important. Instead, though, I mean the ones that you are just too tired, to weary, to beaten to go through again. Those are the toughest to say no to in my opinion because of the pressure from the clinics, from reading blog success stories, from your own desires. But when you look around you and only see shambles of what's left of your life, your finances, your marriage and your sanity after the storm of IF has come through month after month, year after year...be strong and be brave one last time...but use that strength this time not to do it again, but instead, to say No. Enough. Done. It's time to change course and recoup what's left of you, your life and your relationships.
So, don't ignore that ability to say no...remember, "There is a difference between giving up and knowing when you have had enough." (unknown)
To learn more about the disease of infertility, visit Resolve's Infertility 101.
To learn more about NIAW, visit Resolve's informative page.
Very nice post. This is something we think about a lot in our house.
ReplyDelete